Sunday, June 20, 2021

Interview to Thomas Park

 

 We start our 2021 interviews section, with an interview to the experimental, electronic, drone, dub, generative music composer: Thomas Park. 

WEBSITES:

https://mystified.bandcamp.com/ 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWO_5pdx_MYGbANQX_oEoRA

https://archive.org/details/treetrunk

https://archive.org/details/ThomasParkBenchmarkHub



- What is the meaning of your artist/project name?

I often go by Thomas Park, which is my name. Dj_Iterate and DJ_Frankenstone are names I thought of for promoting my generative music. Frankenstone is usually for darker sounds.



 


- Which is the concept behind your music project, how you categorize your own music?

Since 2019 I have been creating Generative-Iterative music of all genres using Python code I created.



- Do you release music only under your main project? do you have other active or past music projects or monikers?

My earlier acts include (but are not limited to) mystified, Mister Vapor, Grid Resister, AutoCad, and Model 201.



- Favorite music genres??

I am droner turned dubbist.



- in what year did you start making music? which was your first band/project?

1998 as AutoCad



- Which inspiration you have from the place where you live? There's some inspiration from your country in your music?

Not much of a connection, though I live in the USA.

art by Thomas Park


- Which are your favorite visual/plastic artists who inspire your work?

Paul Klee is a favorite painter. I am also a fan of the abstract expressionists.


- How do you see the current Underground music scene of the music genre that you are involved?

Current Underground dub happens, is quite diverse, and mostly just for fun.



- Favorite popular & also underground composers/music projects?


Kosmik Leprechaun, Wilfried Hanrath.


- Do you make live performances? If you do, can you talk us about the experience?

Yes-- I have lots of fun doing Live Looping shows-- here is a good example: https://youtu.be/b0cZErPH844



- Which is your favorite song/composition and album created by yourself?

I like anything from my new Dub Generative Application: http://mystified131.pythonanywhere.com/


- Tell us about the concept & the creation process of one of your latest EP / ALBUM


My last album used a Generative process with a lot of randomness for sound selection. It was called "Cobalt Crop".  You can listen it at the internet archive:

 https://archive.org/details/CobaltCrop



- Tell us about the underground music scene in your city, and which are your favorite artists from your country?

There is a bit of everything here, but actually a LOT of indie rock and bluegrass.



- As active musician, What inspire you to create more and more content? From where you find the inspiration for be a music creator?

I have a sheer love of creating and sharing music, going back to the turn of the millenium.



- Any anecdote that you want to share with us in the creation of some track?

Sometimes tracks just fall together. When I generated a track I did for a Mexico-themed compilation (the track is called "Mexico: Sun and Moon", it was so perfect I was crying. It's hard to explain.



- Any news for this second half of 2021 or for 2022 in your music project or future collaborations?


Just gonna keep rolling. Also, working on a big collab with Ben Cox and Plexus Instruments for 2022.



- Any other thing that you want to say to your listeners?

Thanks for tuning in, and thanks to my friends for the interview.