Thursday, October 14, 2021

Interview to Ed End (2021)

This time we did an Interview to the french prolific experimental composer: Ed End aka: Yoshiwaku, rADio eNd, PIRATE Tapes, A Symbiotic Experience, Symbol of Subversion, Invisible Ilusion between many other monikers.

https://yoshiwaku.bandcamp.com/

https://vividtribeofpsychics.bandcamp.com/

http://horsnorme.org/

https://ello.co/ed_end

https://joindiaspora.com/u/colibrinecrophile

https://archive.org/details/le-colibri-necrophile 

https://twinrealitiesdreamers.bandcamp.com/ 

https://soundcloud.com/vivid-tribe-of-psychics

 https://www.youtube.com/user/Yoshiwaku

https://www.youtube.com/user/LSD2017

https://panoramamix.tumblr.com/

https://radiofreealbemut.tumblr.com/ 

 
- What is the meaning of your artist/project name?

Ed End, for me is meaning the one who do not have one head. I think I’m an instrument, a medium who brings this music to earth but do not do it on my own. It’s also linked with my poet name Morne which means unborn in french. Ed End was first a long automatic poem wrote in Brocéliande. Next I chose to use this name for release my music. It’s also a blink eye about Ed Wood a way to do not forget that I’m an eternal beginner.


- Which is the concept behind your music project, how you categorize your own music?

Each of my projects are define by a concept, most using singular technical process.
Few early examples :
- OP was an attempt to show that you can create classical music without music theory.
- OresteS is based on replacing the rhythm by the pulsation, using high velocity as well as very slow pace.
- Cortex is mostly using disfunctionnality of any kind of toys, synths, machines.
I tried hard to coin Horsnorme (out of norm, standarts, unclassable) music with a certain sens of humor, quite paradoxal, the snake which eat is own tail, and a way to uncategorize the music of the netlabel that I’m running : the necrophile hummingbird.
Perhaps the first idea was to catch and bring on earth things from beyond, I mean I choiced to create the music I was unable to find elsewhere.
 

- Do you release music only under your main project? do you have other active or past music projects or monikers?

I released my music under more than 30 projects mostly because I dislike my music be related to me. And instead prefer let each project with its own life. Most are solo project but some are duets, bands, collectives. http://www.horsnorme.org/EDEND/Ed_End_Flashback.html An anecdote for “The World is Over !” compilation I used 17 of them mostly because it was fun to play the game for each to find if they would stop or let continue the world as it is.

- Favorite music genres??

Anything unclassable, could be close of Postpunk, Industrial music, Psychedelic rock, Electro ethnic, Krautrock, Neofolk, Triphop, No wave, Death rock, Noisy rock, Electro indus, Avantgarde, but mostly nothing too much stuck in a genre. https://www.last.fm/user/abimamibe
 

- In what year did you start making music? which was your first band/project?

1997 with two projects ATros BoXon for freak folk & TKno BeurK for experimental electro.
Follow very soon after by the noise collective My Wagonnet Erétique 68 and the duet Ouaf.
 

- Which inspiration you have from the place where you live? There's some inspiration from your country in your music?


The place where I’m born and I’m living in is a very mysterious town with strong alchemical history.
Two times the town have been completely destroy by the war... The king of france was unhappy about a spanish rift in his country.


So my real country is... earth that’s why I try to spread the word about huge problemes like global warning or anything related to ecology, but not only because it’s only green washing without social side, that’s why I’m against capitalism and do my best for find alternative ways of living and at my small level help them to rise up.


- Which are your favorite visual/plastic artists who inspire your work?

Except for Camembert Electrique netlabel “Museum” compilation my music is not often based on plastic artists, thus I enjoy painters like Beksinski, Giger, James waan, Mossa, Redon or actionist like Beuys. More on visual artists like Phil Morton who bring us the copy it right, and lot of amazing experimental cinema pioneers. I’ve remix or create illegal alternative soundtracks for lot of them to help spread their art. https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mixuptv/ And it’s far more based on poetry like beat generation poets like Kenneth Patchen, Bob Kaufman, Claude Pelieu, Allen Ginsberg… Burroughs or psychedelism like Timothy Leary, Terrence McKenna, John C Lilly… or Speculative Fiction writer Philip K Dick, Jeff Noon... But to be fair about the inspiration on my albums, music is not separate of the writing and the artwork or the video art clip, often when I design one of them, it helps to create the whole album. Each album is like a kind of mathematical problem made by life that I’m able to solve using them.


- How do you see the current Underground music scene of the music genre that you are involved?

Well I’m not in one genre because for me it’s a kind of prison, for example one of the concepts behind rADio eNd is to try to make a project with each album being in different genres. So I’m very happy that the borderline between genres seems become thinner than ever years after years. The only genre I could refer would be free wave, the free music scene, and actually the early dream of internet that something virtual should not be a marchandise is quite far. Netlabel word was used years ago for labels releasing music for free. And now it is used by labels doing virtual releases, selling music, in pay what you want zero include for the better ones. Is there a problem doc ?

- Favorite popular & also underground composers/music projects?

Perhaps when I was a teenager it was Coil. Psychic Tv. Tuxedomoon, The Residents, Minimal Man, Chrome, Virgin Prunes, Bauhaus, Minimal Compact, Mecano, Einstürzende neubauten, The Legendary Pink Dots, Christian Death, Lydia Lunch, Joy Division. 


For the electro Cabaret Voltaire, Foetus, Fad Gadget, Kas Product, Severed Heads, Sixth com.
But the psychedelic side was as important with Amon Duül 2, Can, Gong, The 13 floor elevator, The seeds. Same thing for the heavenly side Dead Can dance, His Name his Alive, Cranes, Current 93.
But actually I’m far more eclectic and the question seems to me to be meaningless.
I should only say : pioneers, not copycats.


- Do you make live performances? If you do, can you talk us about the experience?

Yes, despite that anguish me a lot, each time it’s possible because I see it as “being” a time and space share together, halas usually that’s not often possible, and since the Covid that’s more tricky than ever. However actually I would not perform only for people with medical pass as it is in france. I organised concerts in a squatt ten years ago, bands were playing in a huge metal cage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YrBKAqYaBY 

My first concerts were also in squatt.
In france It’s the better place without them there will be no underground scene or hardly.
 

- Which is your favorite song/composition and album created by yourself?


 https://archive.org/details/Antagonisme

It’s like asking if one child is my fav… Well, so I thing the closer of myself is “L’Antagonisme" by ThrobofOG remaINDed because it’s only an improvisation with one boss delay sampler effects and my voice. And then my fav would be the one the most far of myself, so all the collective or band albums like “Hum Antenna”, “Anachronic Sacrifice”, “Gesamkunstwerk”, “Genesis Launch” “Faust Tape” for the recent one or sampling album done without my own instruments like “Size to Seizure” because if so I try to catch the spirit of the sources. 



https://archive.org/details/How_To_Download_Free_Music_Unusual_Album_Remix_Pikadon


- Tell us about the concept & the creation process of one of your latest EP / ALBUM

That’s something so much complicated and simple at the same time that I can’t find words for it. Each time I get relevant informations I share them on the Internet Archive on the release page, so for this you could read “Tohu Wa Bohu” presentation it would be a fine exemple. If you want more disturbing creation process check Pikadon, at somepoint I was in the Tibet Museum beside Giger Museum asking to the gallery owner which divinity would be the more related, to build the artwork, because the idea behind was to create something which could create a global disruption to help a change of paradigm, more ore less. And keep in mind that I do not create myself, it was just what I feel about the goal of this remix compilation. I try to avoid to know anything about future (or futures..) since several years but it’s clear that my music is intuitive, same way that I use automatic writing for poetry, I don’t know from where it comes subconscious dreams multiverse or elsewhere but it’s surely not something made by a rational brain stuck in plato cavern.

- Tell us about the underground music scene in your city, and which are your favorite artists from your country?

In my town except the noise rock band “MK ultra” where my coplayer Studio 112 play guitar and a punk rock band, there is no real underground scene, of course the success of Hubert Felix Thiéfaine let a path because he shown that you can be popular despite being not on a major. I’d like to change this at some point, there are few friends in the two cities around : Androvirus, Judith Juillerat , Erebus, Willy Marleen... To develop a local scene is really important to me so each time it’s possible I do various kind of collaborations with them.
https://archive.org/details/Beyond_Magick_Dreams_BSide
https://archive.org/details/Androvirus_Yoshiwaku_DEmantelEe
https://archive.org/details/EONYoshiwaku-Qutb


For the favorite french artists it could be a very long list and few are already on NWW list : Gong, Ghedalia Tarsates, Art Zoid, Ange, Magma, Brigitte Fontaine… I think the ones I prefer are Kas Product, The Grief, Nox, the Syndicat, Déficit Des Années Antérieures, Deleted, End of Data, Gestalt, Denier du Culte, Pacific 231, Bastärd, Hint, Corpus Delicti, Jad Wio despite I’ve listen a lot of more punky music like Les béruriers noirs, Laid thénardier, Les tétines noires, Charles de goal, Warum joe... I’m ashame of the many I forget to write down especially many fav from the free culture like Jungle is Neutral, ardleg, Planetaldol, Michel Nomized, Kalam, JlH Berthelot, Konejo more generally all my collaborators like Antonella Eyes Porcelluzi who always help me to remember to keep my sound free. If I create music with them it’s because I love their music. Something funny is that each time I love a music, if it’s possible I’m so happy to melt my sound universe with. So to find the fav who make beat my heart the best way is to listen Necktar compilation…
http://www.necktar.info


- As active musician, What inspire you to create more and more content? From where you find the inspiration for be a music creator?

Indeed it’s the opposite I try to create less and less content… but I generally fail.
Music is just a consequence of my study of life.


When I was younger it was slightly different because I wanted help a free music scene to grow up in france, now we are all with more music to listen that time in our life for, it’s like the shareware in the early 90’s it was possible to copy on a harddrive all the earth production, now it would be just impossible, actually it’s impossible for me to follow all the bands I’d like, and it’s better like that, with the information overload it need to change of paradigm to leave the always “more” for a sens of harmony, less is better. For my production I try to let room for the others, it’s how the world should be for me, everyone is able to bring wonderfull arts if they are enough passionate, so it would be selfish to do not care about all. In fact it’s possible that a reason why I’m not able to slow my production is that despite there are so many musics lot of them are just marchandises, copypastes, recycles, recipes and not so many are real researches : musical experimentations.

- Any anecdote that you want to share with us in the creation of some track?

Often when I finish an album I get a life reward for it, here is an example of that kind of funny synchronicity, after achieving “Baâl des maudits” I went straight to a second hand shop and I picked the first book front of me, then I read the title it was “Bal des maudits”. The album was including various numeric codes based on number 666 and when I open the book there was 665 pages and one page without number. More recently I did a track Magical Initiation for Invisible Illusion, well I have a special relation with the computer or any electronics device, often I generate unusual bugs, and so when I pressed the play button on vlc to launch this track, the second track also begin to play in another vlc session ! First I do not notice I was just “wov ! How I managed to do this amazing mix with kind of glitch compression letting flow few tunes from the second track” Next I realised that the second track was playing and it was one more bug, so next I chose to recreate at my level this mix, despite I’ve been not able to recreate that amazing glitch... My life and creation are full of these playful events..


- Any news for this second half of 2021 or for 2022 in your music project or future collaborations?

Open Source & Paroxysmic Rhapsody & Tohu Wa Bohu maybe enough to let me breath a little.
Also there will be two Invisible Illusion tracks release soon, the first one on “Communitas vol 2”.
https://mickmagic.bandcamp.com/ I’ve done also some participations to an Augustine Leudar project for something going back to the widening gyre. For 2022 I hope finish the long waiting Multiple Personality 3 Glauko Psyche, another A Symbiotic Experience waiting also since a while. A PIRATE Tapes at least because we’ve got tens of them never release. And others rADio eNd like Operating System and the both last where Peter Hope already recorded the lyrics but I still need to do a lot to finalise them. There is also 2 others Invisible Illusion already cut out… stay tuned here: 

https://ello.co/ed_end and I will drop a word when I know more about.



- Any other thing that you want to say to your listeners?

If you don’t find musics fitting to your hears well I think you should create your own music. And well music is cool for lot of us it’s a way to do not fall in depression or die face to this insane world trusted by unhuman people. Happy if it help to breath in unbreathable times. But music for me is only a consequence of process happening because of being connect to other arts and life and dreams. There is so many people in pain around the world because of selfish choices, comfort, money, short time thoughts, all that, It’s time to refuse, to say no each time we are strong enough, to refuse any gov laws and orders. And to built our local alternatives, in france the gov forbide to anyone without vaccine to acces to cultural places, medical, coffee shop etc at least till next summer... Well if these places accept illegal laws like this they desserve to be boycott. We need to build alternative library, alternative medical center, concert places for example to do “cabarets” instead (party without artists just people sharing their best half performing their art half audience), and associative coffe shop... Now we need to refuse any consensual threason more than ever, to refuse to avoid conflict. It’s a war against humanity there is no reason to be nice with friend familly or anyone if they are spitting on dissidents, if they are throwing stones on us.


It wouldn’t help. As a parent when a children do something really terrible you will say first no, stop ! And explain next not the reverse. If you don’t do it at all it won’t help your children just letting him be rotten more and more. So nothing is easy but if we can each change few things, not perfectly but in a way we are more responsable of our acts and show that we will refuse more horror by any means, I think it would help.


Sorry to tell you that because you are probably the person needing the less to listen it, because I think my listeners may be amazingly open people, dealing with lot of empathy visible or not, and I’m pretty sure each are allready doing its best. All with a certain love for humor and anything atypical. People full of doubts or with a sens of clair voyance. Well, perhaps this “refuse speech” is more adress to myself. 

And instead I should only say to you :
- Thanks so much for being here listening and sharing the music I bring back from my dreams. And for many probably sharing your music with me. My life would be without meaning as without hope without you. 


Love+Share+DIY
Ed End

ps. For the french speakers i did a selfportrait podcast far more accurate than this interview not in my native language to get the answer to many “why” questions…
https://aligrefm.org/podcasts/la-vie-est-un-roman-08-juin-2021-le-colibri-necrophile-ed-end-1400